Sunday, August 16, 2009

Ode to Organization

Ryan built me shelves this weekend! It was quite the project, and I was so happy with the finished product that I cried. (Just a little.) It gives me peace of mind to know that everything has a place, and I get double peace of mind knowing that we're at least attempting to save up on food and supplies in case of an emergency. "If ye are prepared, ye shall not fear." (Click for a great talk by LDS church leader, Elder L. Tom Perry.)


These shelves house our "overflow" items; our regular pantry holds a little more than this photo. Currently, our food storage technique is just to buy extra of what we use, so that we can cycle through the food items without having to get really creative. (Grind my own wheat?? I'm not up for that yet.) If nothing else, it's a good start!

What are YOU doing for food storage? I'm sure we could all use a few new ideas!

On a different note, I missed a beautiful Portland wedding this weekend. Congrats to my cousin Kendall and her new husband, Josh!

6 comments:

  1. I too love to see that little extra sitting on my self and when it's organized, wow, it's an extra treat. My friends and I go do the dry pack canning together once a month and I give myself $20 to spend, which usually gets me about a case of something. But little by little we'll get there. Great looking shelves by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that looks great! Earlier this year we felt really impressed to build up a 3-month supply of the canned foods we use regularly along with toiletries and stuff- and it has been such a blessing since David's been out of work. Plus, if you have the supply built up, you can wait until things go on a really good sale and stock up when prices are low! I am jealous of your pretty shelves though- they look really nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That looks awesome! BTW, if you get a good wheat grinder (not the hand crank kind) grinding your wheat is so much fun! Your home made bread tastes so much better! They are super pricey though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not only do I love food storage more than anything, but thank you so much for the shout out! I seriously want a house for no other reason than to have an entire closet of food storage that I wouldn't have to move ever. I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete