Friday, May 14, 2010

What's not to love? T at 21 Months

There is so much I want to remember about Trenton at this magical age...


  • When he gets hurt, he comes to me looking concerned and saying, "K?" As if to say, "Am I okay, Mom? You better check." (I secretly love it when he gets mildly hurt because I so enjoy it when he throws his head onto my chest and his arms around my neck.)
  • He has an adventuresome spirit—and has from day one. He loves novelty. Even before he was old enough to crawl, we'd come back into our apartment after a walk in the stroller, and as soon as he'd see our red couch, he would burst out with a cry of frustration—as if to say, "Not this place again!" For that reason, we get out of the house a lot. His behavior is notably better when we go on frequent outings.
  • His love for novelty spills over into his eating habits. He actually likes to try new things. It doesn't mean he'll eat a lot of it, but he'll always try. I have to switch up snacks frequently, because he won't be interested if I give him, say, Goldfish, day after day. The only thing he'll always get excited about is fruit snacks. (And even with those, if it's a different brand than normal, it piques his interest even more.)
  • We've been going to the YMCA several mornings a week. When I drop him off at the childcare, he does especially well if there are a lot of kids to distract him. But if we get there early, before a whole host of toddlers has arrived, he tends to be more hesitant to let me leave. Today was one of those days. He clung to my hand for a couple of minutes; then all of a sudden, he looked straight up at me, stuck one hand up in the air, waved once, and said, "Buh-bye!" I was officially dismissed! I left without him even giving me a second glance!
  • I LOVE picking him up from the childcare. He smiles at me SO huge and then shows off for a minute by vigorously kicking a ball or whatever it was he was last doing. Then he says "Chase!" and we go pick up his little brother. He even tries to carry the infant carrier. :)
  • Lest you think our life is all smiles and fruit snacks, rest assured that this kid does give his mom a run for her money. I put a lot of thought (and reading) into discipline, because I realize what a responsibility is is to shape a child. And this child could definitely benefit from some shaping! What kid couldn't?
  • He has never been an independent player. He is rarely more than a few feet away from me throughout the day. (This can get tiring.) He just needs a lot of entertainment and interaction. (I'm counting the days until Chase can take over part of my role as Trenton's playmate. I knew there was a good reason we had another baby so soon! :)
  • Luckily, since he never strays far from me, he does like to "help." If I'm sweeping, he's swiffering (sort of). If I'm wiping down tables and chairs, he has his own sponge. I love when he exclaims the words "Help!" or "Clean!" Too cute.
I think that's it for now! If you read all of this, I am seriously impressed!

7 comments:

  1. I think Trenton and Soren are quite similar. There are a lot of qualities in Soren that I wonder how will turn out when he is older. Reading this post, I had a few "aha!" moments where I could see what his little 10-month-old self might turn out to be like when he is 21 months old, like going places and being outside, and needing his mama to play with him a lot.
    That said, he sure is a cutie! He sounds like a sweet, enthusiastic older brother. Soon enough you'll have two little play buddies and a little bit more time to yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 21 months sure was sweet. And it keeps getting better- seriously. Even with the increased attitude, they just get cuter.
    I love hearing about what Trenton is up to. I wish we lived closer so our kids could play!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course, a grandma would read every word. You have great insights! XOX

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hearing about his sweet personality! I'm so glad I got to see him so recently, so I can exactly picture what he looks like while doing these activities. Too precious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. of course I read all of that! I LOVE reading about your life and your boys. Trenton is so much fun and so cute (love the naked bum pic by the way!)Chase sounds like a good baby and I am so happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read it all! He is a little firecracker. I so wish that I could come visit so I could see more of his cute personality!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read it ALL, and love to hear it! You will be so happy to have these things documented. Random thoughts: I am so happy you get to use the YMCA daycare. A few minutes to yourself makes a huge difference. Thought #2: be meaner to your kids. I'll explain - lots and lots and lots of kids turn out to be great, healthy people, even when they had parents who yelled or were mean or even bopped them sometimes. I find myself being too nice to Adrie in parenting sometimes, and then realize that it's good and healthy for her to know who's boss and learn to listen to authority without needing every thing explained (which is really hard to explain at her level, anyway). Whew. There's my blog on your blog ;)

    ReplyDelete