I'm surprised it took him this long, but on Saturday the T-Monster finally climbed out of his crib. Twice. I put him down for a nap, and only moments later he was out of his room asking me for leche. I could tell from the little lift in his step that he was pretty darn pleased with himself. So I put him back in the crib and watched silently from the doorway as he climbed out again. That boy moves like a fox! It looked like he'd been doing it all his life.
Luckily, we've been talking a lot about his big boy bed lately. (He likes to say that his crib is "getting old.") So Saturday was as good a day as any to make the switch. I settled him in the twin bed and left the room. Then each time he tried to come out, I would walk him back to his bed without saying anything. Below are his attempts, in order of occurrence, at flouting his newfound freedom.
- "Fader?" meaning "Can we say another prayer?"
- "Monkeys?" while holding his monkey book.
- At my redirection he climbed right in bed, and as I put his blankies over him, his only word was "sorry."(the little sweetheart)
- I can't remember this one...
- Forgot this one too...
- As I redirected him, his only words this time: "Go sleep." (Me thinking, yes please!)
I cannot believe my boy is in a real bed! It was one of those moments when Ryan and I just looked at each other, reeling that he is growing up. Next thing we know he'll be wearing underpants! (AAHHH!)