Sunday, July 17, 2011

On the Runway

We spent another lovely evening at the San Carlos airstrip. I love that place. It's peaceful to watch the small planes come and go. And the fact that our boys are riveted for 30 minutes makes it that much more peaceful. :)



We park and enter through the West Valley Flying club, for any of you locals who might like to try it. They are always very welcoming, and today we saw more than 30 planes take off or land.

As we walked in and saw the parked planes, I waited for Chase's first little high-pitched "Ah!" accompanied by a pointing finger. I didn't have to wait more than five seconds. And the little ah-s continued the entire time, with the sighting of each new plane. I cherish that sound.

Did you know my dad owned and flew a small plane when my family lived in Colorado? He sold it right before I was born and used the money to buy the house I grew up in. At least, that's what I've thought since I was a kid. (Am I right, Mom?)

Anyway, this was one Sunday afternoon well spent.

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos to document this fun afternoon! Love these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun Sunday afternoon :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so good about recording and documenting family outings! I'm guessing that in years to come you'll smile when you drive by an airstrip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like heaven for a couple of cute boys! Family outings are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my favorite childhood memories is watching planes take off and land from the airport while eating twin pops. Glad you are doing this with the boys! You better get some video of Chase's ah's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks fabulous! I bet that is one of those memories that will stick with them forever- what a great family activity! Your pictures look cool too- really vintage-y :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like such a nice evening! I know the boys loved it, too. And I am impressed by your documenting, as well. It will be so nice having these memories so well-recorded in the coming years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Right, your dad had a Cessna 150 and he did sell it (big sacrifice) so we could buy a house! Corey & Mary & I took trips in it before you were born. XOX

    ReplyDelete